Sunday, March 11, 2012

I have wing envy!

The Cloud Roads (Books of the Raksura, #1)The Cloud Roads by Martha Wells

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I'd never read any of Martha Wells work when I bought Cloud Roads, and so I was pleasantly surprised when it quickly hooked me. Wells puts a fresh spin on the "self discovery of a hero" theme by giving her protagonist, Moon, the ability to transform into a dragon-like winged beast. She also does a fantastic job of world building her setting: "The Three Worlds." My only complaint was that Moon's race was so different in culture that I had a hard time connecting with him, which sometimes took me out of the story. Very alien creatures work good for secondary characters, but it hurts a story's immersion factor when applied too much to the prime protagonist. Even so, Cloud Roads is a great, quick read that I enthusiastically recommend.



View all my reviews

No comments: