Friday, October 3, 2008

I confess, I was disappointed...

To be fair, I haven't read this entire series. I loved Wizard's First Rule (I'm really pumped for Legend of the Seeker) and Stone of Tears, but Goodkind's bizarre obsession with graphic sadistic rape and his self righteous philosophical rants really put me off. So I skipped volumes three through seven (I wiki'd the stories), and resumed with the Chainfire trilogy (I actually started reading Goodkind with Naked Empire). I believe what makes an author stand out among his/her peers is the ability to deftly wrap up an epic in a way that harmonizes with the plot details of previous stories and makes the audience say "that ending felt right." Unfortunately, that is not how Goodkind ends the Sword of Truth series. This book was compelling and exciting pretty much up until just before the end, where it's thoroughly established rules for the boxes of Ordon (the talismans of ultimate power) that were so central throughout the first book and in the first two installments of Chainfire are pretty much just thrown out the window and the heroes win simply by being passively lucky. And in each previous novel, one of the Wizard's rules is explained. In Confessor the Wizard's eleventh rule, the rule unwritten, is introduced but NEVER explained. At least if it was, I didn't catch it. Jigang's death was clever, but Kahlan's compelling rising plot was extinguished just before it got good, and Zedd, Nathan, Nicci, and the other regulars were pretty much reduced to jumping off agents for Richard/Goodkind's rants about the fallacies of faith and the value of your one and only life. That being said, Confessor was still a good read, containing some of the intense feel of Goodkind's brilliant first novel, and the Jala (a lethal version of football) scenes were some of the most exciting scenes I've ever read. In spite of its let down ending, I would recommend Confessor and the Chainfire trilogy to anyone who loves fantasy. On a scale of 1-10, Confessor gets 7.5. (I give Phantom an 8 and Chainfire a 9).

No comments: